Presented For Sale By:
|Model||41 Kaufman Performance Cruiser|
|Location||Sidney, British Columbia|
|Max Draft||2.59 m|
|Displacement (Full Load)||22000 lb|
|Cabin Headroom||1.83 m|
|Propeller Type||2 Blade|
|Engine usage (hours)||1112|
|Builder||Snug Harbour Boatworks|
|Fuel Tanks||50 gal (Stainless Steel)|
|Fresh Water Tanks||1 x 100 gal (GRP)|
|Holding Tanks||1 x 15 gal (Plastic)|
Glenthorne is a one of a kind performance cruiser. The vessel started it life in the 1980s as a "Two Ton" IOR racing machine. Upon its retirement it was subsequently purchased by a talented marine trades person and re-built as unique performance cruiser. Given the vessels Kevlar/Airex/Epoxy hull and attractive flush decks, it was a great choice for the effort and cost to repurpose. The result of the countless hours of custom work and fabrication is a vessel that is perfectly suited for cruising, while keeping many of the great sailing attributes she was design for originally. The vessel was simplified for easy shorthanded sailing, the simple mainsheet system is an example of this simplification. Although this is a strongly built boat that is ready and capable for extended sailing, she will be a real joy to sail in the light PNW conditions long after most cruisers have given up and started their engines.
The current owner had purchased the vessel after its rebuild and has been enjoying the boat in the PNW ever since. The vessel has been continually maintained by the original trades person who completed the refit, and the vessel shows very well for it.
If you are a sailor who is simply not encouraged with the selection of factory production vessels in this range, and appreciate the many hours of custom work that has gone into building this beautiful boat, then you should not miss this opportunity.
Glenthorne is a flush deck vessel with recessed cockpit. The deck is uncluttered easy to navigate and provides great storage and lounging areas. The cockpit is reasonably shallow which provides good seating on the deck edge all round. This cockpit is protected by a custom weather cloth system, dodger, strong custom welded frame Bimini. There is a clear connector between the dodger and bimini to provide further weather protection to the cockpit.
- Primary Anchor - 20KG Excel with 275' of 5/16 G43 Chain
- Secondary Anchor - 20KG Claw with 100' of 5/16 Chain & 200' of Nylon Line
- Windlass - Lewmar 12 Volt, Vertical Gypsy
- Robust Custom Welded SS. Bow Roller & Forestay Fitting
- Raw Water Washdown on Bow
- Lewmar Deck Hatches, 2 large, 3 small
- Padeyes for securing gear, or attaching blocks
- Spinnaker Pole Storage Chocks
- Stainless Steel Stanchions, Double Lifelines, Reinforced at Gates
The overall interior is a nice blend of quality bright wood finishes, combined with clean white painted surfaces. This provides a surprisingly bright and pleasant interior for a flush deck design. Headroom is approximately 6' to 5'11" in between the deck beams.
Upon entry to the cabin via the custom stainless steel companionway, you have a wide non skid tread stairway leading down into the cabin. Immediately upon entry you have a bulkhead with your engine instrumentation panel and fuel gauge. Immediately to port is a generous double aft cabin and to starboard is a storage/mechanical/electrical room and a hanging locker.
Forward to starboard is the entrance to the main cabin where there is complete navigation station which is a great place to work from or plan your next adventure. Adjacent midship is a complete galley, with a custom stainless steel counter and sink on an island separating the boat. This galley provides good space to work, but also keeps the cook contained with areas to lean and brace.
Forward of the galley is the salon and dining area. There are port and starboard settees with a teak centerline table with two folding sections. One could have a nice dining area to port without restricting forward and aft movement in the boat. There are leecloths under the settees for midship berts at sea.
Forward fo the salon is the head. It uses the full width of the boat and comprises of a marine head, vanity, shower, and a teak grid sole. There is a sump pump to remove water from this area. There is a privacy door separating the head from the salon and additional storage to starboard.
In the forepeak is a decent sized double V-Berth with shelving and some storage underneath.
There is a sealed bulkhead ahead of the V-Berth where the anchor rode is stored.
Rig & Sailing
- Painted Aluminum Mast & Boom
- Double Spreader Rig with Jumpers
- Navtech Rod Rigging
- Furlex Foresail Furler
- Rigid Vang
- Simplified Mainsheet System running to a dedicated centerline winch
- Tweakers to haul main to windward when needed
- Deck tracks with fairlead cars for foresails
- All running rigging lead aft to cockpit through Spinlock clutches
- Running Back Stays run through turning blocks to dedicated winches
- Winches Halyard & Reefing, 2 Barient ST27
- Winches Dedicated Mainsheet on Centerline Barient ST27
- Winches Primary, 2 Barient 28
- Winches Running Backs, 2 Barient ST28
- Spinnaker pole car on mast
- Adjustable backstay with tensioner mounted to structural stainless Bimini
- 2:1 Main Halyard
- Strong Track Low Friction Mainsail System
- Single Line Reefing (One Large Reef in Mainsail)
- Dacron full batten main (Good Condition)
- New 130% Genoa Dacron (New Condition)
- Dacron 100% Jib (Good Condition)
- Heavy Kevlar Blade (Serviceable)
- Mylar Staysail (Serviceable)
- #4 Jib (Serviceable)
- Light #1 Foresail
- 1.5oz Tri Radial Spinnaker (Serviceable Condition)
- Asymmetrical Spinnaker (Good Condition)
- Dousing Sock for Asymmetrical (Excellent Condition)
Construction and Refit History
Originally designed by Scott Kaufman as an IOR Two Ton Racer named "Damn Near" Built by Snug Harbour Boatworks of NY, USA. The hull is a composite of Kevlar, Airex, & Epoxy.
The vessel was later purchased and imported into Canada where she was gutted, and rebuilt into the unique performance cruiser she is today. The refit was major, and encompassed work on the entire boat and structure. This vessel is now far newer than the 1981 age of the hull layup.
Refit work mostly done in 2000 to 2007, included but not limited to:
- Re building the decks
- Installing new bulkheads
- A redesigned interior suited to cruising
- Simplified mainsheet system for shorthanded sailing
- Complete new electrical and systems
- Replaced tanks and plumbing systems
- Awlgrip Paint on Hull & Awlgrip on Deck
- Kiwigrip in Cockpit
- Custom welded bimini system
- Custom fabricated companionway
- Custom fabricated bow fitting and anchor roller
- Custom fabricated mast collar
Shortly after the refit the keel was replaced with a new keel cast by Mars Metals. The new keel is 12" deeper and had an additional 250 pounds which stiffened the boat. Originally the boat was designed to sail with a crew while racing, when one is cruising you do not have bodies to ride the rail and a stiffer boat is appreciated. :-)
A new Yanmar 40hp Engine was added in 2009
Additional Equipment and Information
- Easy Access Dual Racor Filter and Fuel Management System
- Teak Cockpit Table
- Assorted Lines & Fenders
- Assorted spares and parts
- Basic Safety Gear, including a Lifering & Man Overboard Pole with Light
- Magma BBQ
- Full Boat Cover that fit before the custom Bimini was made
Mechanical & Electrical
- A new 40hp Yanmar diesel and V-Drive was installed in 2009
- Engine access is from all four sides and the hood can be removed for major service if required.
- Primary 2 Blade Max Prop Feathering Propeller
- Spare 2 Blade Martec Folding Propeller
- 1 1/8" Stainless Steel Propeller Shaft
- Batteries are stored in a custom storage cabinet that is very well secured and easy to inspect and service.
- Four Trojan 6V Battery forming the house bank at approximately 460ah
- One 12V Group 27 Battery as a starting
- Link 1000 Battery Monitor
- 2000w & 100 Amp Inverter Charger
- Echo Charger on Starting Battery
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Canadian vessels are for sale while located in Canada and are not for sale while located in the USA. Foreign registered vessels are not for sale while located in Canada.